Details of Programmes and Impact of Linkages Developed with National Organizations
Public/ Private Organizations
Barani Agricultural Research Institute (BARI)/SAWCRI
PCRWR signed a partnership agreement with BARI in August 2015 with the objectives.
- Develop and implement research activities in dry areas of the country especially olive plantation.
- Promote and strengthen research-policy interface for olive plantation, supported by evidence-based research and advocacy campaigns.
- Contribute to the capacity building events, convened jointly or independently, through scholarly lectures and presentations on olive plantation in the dry regions of the country.
Pakistan Agricultural Research Council
PCRWR signed a partnership agreement with PARC in August 2015 with the objectives:
- Develop and implement research activities in dry areas of the country.
- Promote and strengthen research-policy interface for high value orchard plantation, supported by evidence-based research and advocacy campaigns.
- Contribute to the capacity building events, convened jointly or independently, through scholarly lectures and presentations on olive and other high value plantation in the dry regions of the country.
Agency for Barani Areas Development (ABAD
PCRWR has developed a working relationship with ABAD related to water resources development and management and in the Pothwar region.
The following joint activities have been undertaken so far:
- PCRWR helped ABAD for the identification of potential sites for development of micro water resources in Pothwar areas (ponds, mini dams etc.).
- Facilitated/supported for the development of GIS Lab at ABAD
- Provided support for the development of technical specifications and framework for ABAD's project for installation of solar pumps on 200 minim dams/ ponds in Pothwar.
The main objective of developing working relationship with the universities was to facilitate their research graduates and also reciprocate support for various PCRWR's joint initiatives.
Mehran University of Engineering and Technology (MUET) through the Center for Advanced Studies in Water
PCRWR developed a working relationship with MUET- Center for Advanced Studies in Water in 2015 with the following objectives:
- Develop and implement research projects in water-related areas, especially irrigation, drainage, integrated water resources management, drinking water, and water quality management.
- Promote and strengthen research-policy interface for effective utilization of water conservation technologies in all water using sectors, supported by evidence-based research and advocacy campaigns.
- Promote commercialization of technologies and products emerged from the implementation of joint research projects.
- Contribute to the capacity building events, convened jointly or independently, through scholarly lectures and presentations on analysis of enduring and emerging water-related issues.
- Coordinate in the creation of a “Pakistan Water Sustainability Network” that will serve as a platform for capacity building of stakeholders through knowledge sharing about best practices in water resources management.
- Provide access to available data and information to support thesis/dissertation research of graduate students in general, and implementation of Center's applied policy research program in particular.
- Facilitate students visits to research projects being implemented on the ground.
- Provide internship opportunities for Center's students.
RIPHA International University
A working relationship has been developed with RIPHA University to support and develop joint initiatives besides facilitating their research students. The following joint activities have been planned for which actions are in progress;
- To hold awareness sessions for farmers/water users using FM Radio of RIPHA University
- To engage students from university for their research in upcoming projects of PCRWR especially studying on socio-economic impacts of the projects.
The Civil Engineering, Water Resources, Environment and GIS Departments of NUST are actively engaged with PCRWR in the following activities:
- Access to PCRWR's Water Quality Labs for graduate students for their analysis and training
- Supervising their Master/PhD students (especially groundwater, GIS)
- Engaged in a Flood Forecasting Programme of PMD/FFC as partner organizations for respective tasks.
- Included as Member of National Pakistan Committee on IHP.
- PCRWR staff is being invited as guest speakers to share practical knowledge with their students.
University of Agriculture Faisalabad (UAF)
The working relationship between UAF and PCRWR is continued from more than decade in terms of joint research studies, access to graduate students and knowledge sharing. The recent activities between two organizations are as follows;
- PCRWR and UAF jointly implemented ICARDA funded project for training and capacity building of farmers, professionals and service providers/extension workers.
- Access of research facilities to UAF's graduate students.
- Providing a common platform to the scientist and engineers of both organizations for attending seminars/workshops.